Chief Administrative Officer
CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER (CAO)
Located just over an hour northwest of Alberta’s Capital Region, the Town of Barrhead (approximate population 4,580) is ideally situated and has much to offer residents and visitors alike. The Town serves as the regional trading and service centre for the County of Barrhead and surrounding area. While agriculture is the mainstay of the regional economy, the Town boasts over 500 businesses including agricultural services, restaurants, retail outlets, business services, and manufacturing. Learn more about our facilities and our beautiful Town and discover your new home in our Welcome to Barrhead section.
Duties & Qualifications:
Reporting to the Mayor and six Councillors, the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is responsible for the overall administration of municipal operations in accordance with the objectives, policies and plans approved by Council. There are seven direct reports and nearly 40 FTE’s with an overall combined budget of nearly $23M.
- A demonstrated track record of leadership and senior management experience within a dynamic multi-dimensional service municipality.
- A thorough understanding of the financial and budgeting process.
- An ability to work effectively with elected municipal officials, community volunteers, Boards and committees and public participation processes.
- Proven HR skills. Ability to work with staff and achieve the "buy-in”.
- A thorough understanding of the legislative process or a willingness to learn.
- Proven experience in strategic planning, organizational development and achieving results in building team relations.
- Experience in implementing development plans, capital works and infrastructure improvement programs.
- Knowledge of the Alberta Municipal Government Act (MGA) is considered an asset.