Black Waste Carts FAQ
Automated Residential Waste Cart FAQ
- Utilize the Recycling Bins at the Town Shop for cardboard, plastics, and metals like cans.
- Use the Compost Lot for all vegetation like grass clippings.
- Collect bottles & cans and visit the Barrhead Bottle Depot regularly.
- Flatten, break down, and compress items if possible to reduce over-all space.
There are a number of ways to secure your cart when not in use. Here are some Cart Smart security tips:
- Secure in a building like a garage, shed, or fenced yard.
- Use the security bar on the cart to chain it to something stationary.
- Keep your cart out of sight using vegetation or other visual blockers.
Because we have many residents dependent on street parking we will not be limiting front street parking. We have made specific adjustments to the cart placement requirements for this reason. The requirement of 3ft from the curb is to accommodate parked vehicles better as requested by our Public Works team. They verified this particular ‘sweet spot’ while working with the new truck.
Be considerate when parking on collection day. If you see a cart placed out for collection, be sure to leave 1m (3ft) of space between the cart and your vehicle. At this time we are confident we can work together and not implement fines or revisit the Traffic By-law to institute changes.